Who can refer me for an MRI scan?
We can accept referrals from the following healthcare professionals:
- Sports Therapists
Referrals can be sent via email, or Healthcare Professionals can use our online referral form.
Please note that we now also accept self-referrals for commonly scanned areas. Please read the terms of our Self
Referral Agreement before completing our online form.
Do I need a referral, or can I refer myself?
At MRI Plus, we would always recommend that you obtain a referral from a Clinical Professional for any diagnostic
imaging service. However, we will accept a self-referral from any self-paying patient, where the referral meets our
qualifying criteria, which includes:
- You must be aged 18 and above to self-refer.
- You must provide contact details of your GP or chosen Specialist, involved in your care, for the report to be
sent to. We are unable to sent MRI reports directly to patients.
- You must have clear clinical indication for a scan – we are currently unable to offer a health screening exam.
- You must be a self-pay patient. Please be advised that any patients funded by the NHS or Medical Insurance are
not eligible for self-referral.
- You must complete the health screening questionnaire
Every self-referral is reviewed to ensure that self-referral is suitable. There are some conditions that may not be
accepted, due to safety protocols*, but this will be checked at the time of booking. In some circumstances, you may
be referred back to your GP or Specialist.
Please read the terms of our Self Referral Agreement before completing our Self-Referral form.
Click to download the Self-Referral Agreement
Complete your Self-Referral Form here
*Please note that all contrast-enhanced MRI scans must be referred by a Healthcare Professional.
What are the Terms and Conditions if I refer myself for an MRI?
We believe in the importance of our patients taking control of their health and want to make it easier for patients
who are looking to investigate health concerns or are seeking reassurance. On this basis, we are giving our patients
the ability to Self-refer at our MRI Plus Clinics.
Please read through and agree to the following information prior to proceeding with a Self-referral booking:
- Scans will only be offered to all patients aged 18 and above.
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) is extremely safe and does not involve any radiation exposure. However, you are
required to complete a safety questionnaire at the time of booking. Please note that this may exclude you from
proceeding with the scan or delay the scan, depending on the information you provide.
- You will be required to complete a Self-referral form, clearly providing the reasons for requesting an MRI scan,
whether it is for a medical complaint or reassurance, we would request that you provide as much information as
- If a comparison scan is required, please ensure you provide us with your previous MRI report and MRI images or
details of where this can be obtained. Failure to do so may result in a delay on the completion of your report.
Please note that we are unable to offer a comparative report on any other type of diagnostic imaging such a CT
Scan, X-Ray or Ultrasound.
- You must be registered with a GP, or other responsible medical practitioner (e.g. for overseas patients), to
whom we will send a copy of your report.
- As a diagnostic imaging clinic, it is a requirement for us to be able to communicate results to a doctor,
already involved in your care, so that they may discuss the report and make recommendations about future care.
Therefore, we cannot perform any diagnostic imaging scan if you cannot, or do not wish to provide the name and
contact information of your registered doctor.
- Scans will only be performed on the areas which we routinely scan. The Self-referral form will be assessed and
protocolled, and you will be advised if we are unable to proceed with the requested examination.
- Self-referrals will not be accepted for contrast enhanced scans. If contrast is required, a referral form must
be obtained from your registered GP or a specialist.
- Self-referrals will not be accepted if you are engaged in professional sports or for anything connected with a
professional sports club, of which you are a member.
- Self-referrals will not be accepted for monitoring of known malignant disease.
- You should be aware that MRI scans may identify unexpected abnormalities, which may or may not require further
investigation. In this instance, the findings will be highlighted on the report and any recommendations from the
reporting radiologist must be followed up with your GP or specialist.
- You should understand that the imaging report may contain medical terminology that may be confusing or possibly
upsetting, but neither the reporting radiologist or any staff within the MRI clinic are able to discuss the
findings of the scan directly with any patient. All enquiries and/or recommendations must be explored with your GP
- Your GP will have the ability to contact the reporting radiologist for further information regarding your
- You are welcome to bring a friend or relative with you, who may accompany you during your scan, subject to
safety checks. Please note that you cannot be accompanied by any persons under the age of 16.
- You must provide all your contact details, so that we may contact you, and you will be required to confirm your
appointment 48 hours prior to your appointment.
- After your scan, you will only receive a CD containing your magnetic resonance images if this is included in
your package or you have paid the additional charge. Any additional copies of the CD will be chargeable at the
- After your scan, the radiology report will be sent to your GP or Specialist within the timescale stated on your
selected MRI package. We are unable to release the radiology report directly to any patient. You will need to be
arrange a follow-up appointment with your GP or Specialist to obtain a copy of your report and discuss your
- Neither the NHS nor any private medical insurance providers will fund the costs of a Self-referred MRI scan. As
such, all Self-referrals are accepted on a Self-pay basis only.
- You accept that you are solely responsible for choosing the area(s) you wish to have scanned and that you are
not replying on any input, clinical or otherwise, from the MRI Plus clinic.
- If you are unable to attend your appointment, you must reschedule or cancel 48 hours before the scheduled
appointment. Any appointments cancelled within 48 hours of the scheduled time will be non-refundable and the
appointment cannot be rescheduled. If the appointment is booked within 48 hours of the scheduled appointment time,
the service cost will be non-refundable and the appointment cannot be rescheduled.
- MRI Plus Clinics reserve the right to refuse your Self-referral form.
If you are happy with these terms, you can complete your Self-Referral Form online
How much is an MRI scan?
The price of a Standard MRI scan starts at £199. Costs will vary dependent on which type of scan you require, how
many body areas require scanning, and the package you choose when booking.
We have not placed any restrictions on scan times or dates, so all appointments are
only subject to the availability of appointments on any given day, rather than price/location/body area. We
understand your need for availability on evenings and weekends, so we can accommodate additional appointments, with
prior arrangement, whenever possible.
We have a few MRI packages that you can choose from:
The Bronze Standard MRI package is only £199 and includes a 1-part MRI*, on the same
day or the earliest possible appointment and your report. A written report of the results will be sent to your
Healthcare Professional within 7 working days.
The Silver Standard MRI package is priced at £299 and includes a 1-part MRI at the earliest possible appointment. A CD of your MRI images is included, and can be taken home on the day
of the scan. A written report of the results will be sent to your Healthcare Professional within 2 working days.
The Gold Standard MRI package is priced at £349 and includes a 1-part MRI*, on the same
day or the earliest possible appointment. Your results will be read by 2 consultant radiologists who will write 2
individual reports, which will be sent to your Healthcare Professional within 2 working days.
The Platinum Standard MRI package is priced at £399 and includes a 1-part MRI*, on the
same day or the earliest possible appointment. A CD of your MRI images is included, and can be taken home on the day
of the scan. A written report of the results will be sent to a GP/Specialist who shall conduct a virtual review of
Looking for Open MRI prices?
For further details, please contact us.
*You can add additional body areas for £160 per area. There is an additional charge of
£150 for all contrast-enhanced MRI scans. Please note that all contrast-enhanced MRI scans must be referred by a
Healthcare Professional, and is therefore unavailable to any self-referring patient.
What are the benefits of double reporting?
We have a team of radiologists, with various specialties, who report on all of our MRI scans.
If you choose the Gold package, which includes ‘Double-reading’, the results will be examined by 2 consultant
radiologists, who will compile 2 individual reports with their findings. This is especially helpful if you are
looking for a second opinion.
Do you have an MRI for patients who don't like
If you think you may be claustrophobic (have a fear of enclosed spaces), please take a look at the Open MRI service
that we offer.